Greetings HKSDPSC community
The programme for next academic year is set – see below for details. There is a simple two page document attached with key dates for easy reference.
It’s a packed programme so make sure you get your school teams ready for the action.
We need HOST schools for several events – especially in Term 2 right after Christmas. If your school can help out please contact me at firstname.lastname@example.org
We will be resurrecting our website and facebook for easy communication so check us out at: www.hksdpsc.com and https://www.facebook.com/HKSDPSC/
Some key changes to note are:
1. There will be senior and junior SDC event in BOTH terms with a 4-debate preliminary break round.
2. The first BIG event is the 14th SDC Senior tournament starting September 16th – REGISTRATION OUT SOON.
3. Please note that for WSDC and WIDPSC events, it will be a condition of entry that schools provide an adjudicator. For Senior events the adjudicator must be (i) a teacher, (ii) a school alumni, or (iii) an experienced university debater. For Junior events the adjudicator can additionally be a senior student debater.
4. Please secure your judges early for these events. They will need to be nominated in the registration process along with the teacher in charge.
5. See other notes including changes below.
Michael Evershed (Programme organiser)
11 BIG HKSDPSC EVENTS ANNOUNCED
FOR 2017-2018 SCHOOL YEAR
REGISTRATION FOR FIRST SENIOR SDC EVENT OUT SOON!
PUT THESE DATES IN YOUR DIARIES NOW
AND PREPARE YOURSELVES FOR ANOTHER GREAT YEAR
OF DEBATING AND PUBLIC SPEAKING WITH SDC!
1. 14th Senior WSDC Debating Tournament (Venue: GSIS)
· Saturday September 16th 8am- 5pm (4 rounds)
· Tuesday September 19th 4.30pm -7.00pm (Quarters and Semis)
· Tuesday September 26th 7pm – 9pm (GRAND FINAL)
2. WIDPSC workshop (Venue: TBC)
· HK team trial information and preparation
· Late September (Date TBC)
3. WSDC Team Trial (Venue: GSIS)
· Senior team and development squad
· Sunday September 24th (9am – 3pm)
4. 11th WIDPSC Team Trial (Venue: TBC)
· Saturday November 4th (8am – 5pm)
5. 2nd BP Senior Tournament (Venue: RC)
· Saturday November 18th 8am- 5pm (4 rounds)
· Tuesday November 21st 4.30pm -7.00pm (Quarters and Semis)
· Tuesday November 28th 7pm – 9pm (GRAND FINAL)
6. 15th Junior WSDC Debating Tournament (Venue: South Island School)
· Saturday November 25th 8am- 4pm (4 rounds)
· Tuesday November 28th 6pm – 7pm (GRAND FINAL between two top teams after 4 power paired rounds)
7. Oxford Schools BP tournament
· Venue and date TBC
8. 16th Junior WSDC Debating Tournament (Venue: TBC)
· Saturday February 3rd 8am- 4pm (4 rounds)
· Saturday February 10th 8am- 4pm (Quarters, Semis and GRAND FINAL)
9. 15th Senior WSDC Debating Tournament (Venue: TBC)
· Saturday March 3rd 8am- 5pm (4 rounds)
· Tuesday March 6th 4.30pm -7.00pm (Quarters and Semis)
· Tuesday March 13th 7pm – 9pm (GRAND FINAL)
10. 5th Junior WIDPSC (Public Speaking) Tournament (Venue: TBC)
· Saturday April 28th (8am -4pm)
11. 3rd WSDC (Modified) Evershed Cup for Novices (Venue: TBC)
· Saturday May 12th 8am – 4pm (4 rounds)
Notes about the 2017-2018 programme
1. Grand Finals for the following events will be held as evening “showcase” events at a public venue to attract a wider audience and enhance the occasion
· 14th Senior WSDC Debating Tournament (September 26th, 2017)
· 2nd BP Senior Tournament (November 28th – Double Bill with 15th Junior)
· 15th Junior WSDC Debating Tournament (November 28th, 2017)
· 15th Senior WSDC Debating Tournament (March 13th, 2018)
2. In order to better support schools’ debate programmes, there will be two Senior and two Junior SDC events, one in each term.
3. HKSDPSC events this coming academic year will not be all-weekend events or held on public holidays. They will be spread across one Saturday followed by mid-week finals contests. The Governing Council hopes this provides better balance with students needs for time to balance and manage the ever-increasing academic pressures.
4. All debating events for BP and WSDC will be power-paired
5. All motions released as pre-tournament motions will not have declared sides – students will, therefore, need to prep both sides.
6. There will be, where possible, a 50/50 split between prepared and impromptu motions at WSDC style tournaments
7. For WSDC and WIDPSC events, it will be a condition of entry that schools provide an adjudicator. For Senior events the adjudicator must be (i) a teacher, (ii) a school alumni, or (iii) an experienced university debater. For Junior events the adjudicator can additionally be a senior student debater.
8. Schools should expect to pay a registration fee of around $200 per team for the coming year. This fee is solely to cover expenses such as trophies, accounting and legal fees, website hosting and management, venue costs and equipment.
9. Venues – we need more schools to offer their sites to host our events. Please contact the Governing Council at email@example.com for details.